Wednesday 11 November 2009

My music survey

I knew it was necessary to come up with a suitable survey in which I can ask a range of participants. I came up with a large selection of questions which I then narrowed down to what seemed the most relevant 10. To make analysing the results easier, I composed my survey on an online website called "surveymonkey.com".
I thought about the type of questions I would ask; open or closed , music based or general magazine.

I believe that I have a wide variety of questions within my questionnaire and think it will be helpful in making my final product.
Once I had sent my survey to a variety of friends of all ages, I needed to analyse the results in a way which would be most effective to me.

These are my analysed results:



My first question is about age.81% of the results were aged 16-18. I purposely asked more participants within this age group as that is my main target audience. This then made this result unsurprising.




When I sent my survey to all the participants I tried to ask an equal amount of boys and girls. My results show I asked more females which won't effect my magazine too much. Although every genre of music has a target audience, it isn't based of gender of audience.



When I started to analyse my results to the survey I realised that this question was not necessary to me completing this cover.However some music is suited more for certain ethnic groups, which is why this was interesting for the rest of the results.




The response to this question just shows me how wide most audiences' music taste is. It gives me confidence that a mixed-genre magazine will suit and work well with my target audience. I found the written responses interesting as I did not think it was that popular within the music industry, especially with my age of target audience. Nevertheless the two main responses- pop and rock, shows me that the main artists I need to talk about should be within the genre.

This response shows me that although my target audience don't often read music magazines, there is definitely a gap in the market for a magazine aimed at teenagers-young adults. The "never" response which has such a high percentage could represent that this age of audience don't want to read music magazines. Nevertheless I believe they will want to if it interests them enough.


I realised after sending out my survey that this question is not necessary for making my music magazine. I will not be making multiple issues. however the slightly higher percentage for monthly shows that my audience prefer to have time to read every article thoroughly and not rushed in time to get the next weeks issue.




This result did not surprise me. Concerts and gigs are very popular with the modern teenager/young adult. It will be good publicity and useful information to know when their favourite bands are playing live, however it will also enable less familiar bands to have a chance to publicise .




When I analysed this result I found it useful for planning my celebrities in my own magazine, however I regret not to ask an open question following on such as "who would you like to see on the front cover" or a question similar to that. This is because I don't know what celebrities they like nevertheless by researching different magazine I have a general idea of the type of celebrities currently interviewed.

When I asked this question I was hoping to get more personal responses, however the two I did get were very useful. I had forgotten to think about sports in my magazine. Although it is a music magazine i think it could benefit adding little articles about sport or sport related to music. Nevertheless from the closed question responses I can see that reviews are very important and will definitely include a wide variety of music,film and TV reviews.


I decided not to give option responses for this question as I thought they may just pick any random answer. Instead I gave them a space in which they had to fill in. I included two questions within the one as I felt they combine well together.The responses to the freebie question were limited but use full. Most people admitted they are not the main influence into buying the magazine which gives me confidence not to worry too much about including one. However it tells me with the other responses that the front cover and main article is very important. If it doesn't stand out it will not interest them as much. I know now how important he front cover is for Good sales.
After analysing my results carefully , I now have a good understanding of what my target audience want to see in a music magazine and what I must incuded in order to make is succesful.

1 comment:

  1. You have completed really detailed analysis of your questionnaire here. Well done!

    I'm not sure that music and sport are a natural combination for a music magazine although stereotypically this might attract a male audience. Also I do think that there is a predominantly male readership of the music press and in your magazine you might want to think further about how you can redress this balance.

    ReplyDelete